Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Red Cross Support

Many years ago I was the "Office Safety Coordinator" when I worked for Pioneer Americas (now Olin). Pioneers (now Olin) was a manufacture and distributor of water treatment chemicals used for swimming pools, drinking water and sewage treatment plans. Part of my job was to make sure the office staff was aware of hazards in the office and the disaster plan should we have any leaks.
While I was the Safety Coordinator I became friends Tanya who works for the San Joaquin County chapter for the Red Cross. A wonderful lady and a wonderful organization. I have told many of you before (evil eye) and I shall say it again. Do Not wait for a disaster to be prepared. You can't. When we lived in Virginia and I sat through my first hurricane by myself it was suggested we stock up on batteries and water. I went over to the local KMart and I swear the batteries and water were marked up a bit because people needed them. These are items you can easily stock up and store in advance.

This is a wonderful link with great tips for us all. Make a plan. Make sure your kids know exactly what they should do for any disaster (earthquake, terrorist attack) should you be unable to get to them for an extended length of time. Make sure you have the supplies you need. These kinds of disasters happen without warning, you must be prepared a head of time.

This is the time of year that many organizations need our help. The Red Cross is providing aid to China and Myanmar. Hurricane season will soon be upon us here in the states as well as the fire season.
Your local blood bank needs your help too. If you are able to donate I encourage you to so. There are many ways you can help that do not involve your wallet.
Check out this web site and educate yourself and see how you can help.
Go on tell me how you helped.
Me, I am going to donate blood again. Dominic, my mother and I try to do it every few months. It's easy and you get some great cookies and juicy when you're done. Dominic and I donate $5 every pay day that is automatically deducted from his paycheck and we donate clothing items to the Salvation Army.
You can help.
Thanks Tanya for the reminder.

No comments: