Monday, August 21, 2006

Where do broken hearts go?

Sometimes broken hearts go to heaven. They just cant be fixed. They just cant do what hearts need to do to keep these earthly bodies running.
Sometimes they live on the inside of a momma, a daddy, a brother, a friend.

I often imagine that when I am in heaven and I get my new angel body they will look at this one and see that I was a momma, hips and breasts the carried and fed babies, arms that gave hugs, lips that gave kisses, a few gray hairs, (oh look she has sons) eyes that have shed a few tears of joy and pain, and when they get to my heart they will turn it over and over in their hands and see the bruises and marks and small cracks it has.
It never heals. They will see I was a wife, a daugther, a niece, an aunt, a friend a woman. My heart has broken, my heart has ached and sometimes it has soared.

Three years ago today Lucas died. I can tell you where I was what I was doing and the events that followed right after I heard that he had passed away, but I am sure you're heard them before.
I know his momma misses him the depths of which I cannot even describe. I know his brother and his daddy miss him just as much. The fact that Jenn got out of bed and functioned each and every day and gets stronger every day makes her such a hero in my eyes and she hates it when I say that. I know some people who just stayed in bed and let the world go by but she had her oldest son and a husband to take care of and she did. And just because she's living each day doesnt mean she has forgotten or moved on, if anything she remembers him more and more as time goes by. The legacy of Lucas will live on in all of our hearts because his was different from ours in oh so many ways and broken in a different way and it went on up to heaven.

If you see a white butterfly it's just Lucas showing you his beautiful wings smile a smile his way and hold your heart he and his momma would want that.

No comments: