Thursday, March 01, 2007

Safeway and cheap labor.

I don't shop at Safeway "frequently" just really every now and then for quick trips. Today I ran in for just a few items. Today might have been the last day I shop there ever.

I noticed at my local store there are a few young employees that seem to have slight disabilities. They are friendly enough and seem to do a great job of bagging, stocking, helping customers. It's a job for them and they take great pride in doing a good job. There is a new girl I have noticed and today she was having some trouble. The clerk that was completing my transaction was having a hard time with the girl and her struggles. When the girl left to help a customer the clerk said to another girl "Well they hire them because they are cheap help. You know what I mean? But it creates more work for me" and my eye began to water.
All that Joseph ever wants more than anything ever is to do it himself. To do it just like Derek or Daddy. He will try and try and sometimes he just cant and then it's "help me" but usually only after he's really given it his best.
Some day he will want a job. He will want to help and someone will say something like to that him and I pray he never hears it.
My eyes were watery the rest of the afternoon and I caught a glimpse of him walking across the school ground to have his picture taken. He was so excited to have picture day. His arm was tight, his foot was dropping. I saw it. It screamed right at me. Now he is still small. Now he is toddling about. When he's 16 and it makes it hard for him to open a grocery bag will he be called cheap labor? I pray he is not. There is nothing cheap about the amount of LABOR he puts into completing ever task. Nothing at all.


.

No comments: