Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dominic


This week marks the "anniversary" if you will of Dom and I meeting. A fall October evening. A late phone call from some friends sort of "fixing" me up for the night. Thanks John. Thanks Val.) I was anxious to see them, not so anxious to meet this boy. I was nervous.
I went and I spent the evening with this boy. Who was so not a boy. Older a bit. I was 19 he was 23. Gentle and sweet and funny. Not like the other boys I had meet. I got sick that evening and he took care of this girl. It was dark most of that night and we could barely "see" each other but we talked and he took care of me from the very start.

We dated for 5 years and it was bumpy and rough but we made it. Not to say being married has been smooth sailing for us either but we take care of each other. We have lived 3000 miles away from friends and family all by ourselves, gave birth to our first child alone and scared in a military hospital, we took care of each other.
We faced MRI results for our young son. We have faced job changes (Lordy have we) sick children, financial messes and we still take care of each other. Now we are embarking on buying our first home. There is no one in this world I would rather be taking care of.
Our 14 year wedding anniversary is coming. I am hoping for a nice dinner with my hubby where we will no doubt sit and talk about the kids. Maybe a hockey game we can cheer for Nabby and the boys.
I hope in the days ahead this man and I will send kids off to college, hold grand babies and many more wonderful things but I'll take just the gentle way he takes care of me and I'll keep taking care of him.

No comments: