Monday, October 19, 2009

I usually talk to my dad every day. I'll call him in the early afternoon and ask him what's going on stuff like that. It's the oddest thing not to be able to do that. I'll think of something or someone will say something and I'll want to ask him and I can't. He's on a lot of med's now and anything you ask him or tell him most of it is not registering. Not really.
My mom says he looks better than when I saw him yesterday. I was shocked to see him struggling to breath yesterday and really telling us and the nurse that it hurt and exactly where it hurt. It's hard to take a big drink of cold ice water and think about my dad not getting to drink any for 5 more days at least.
He knows he's not coming home for some time now. He knows he has a long road of recovery ahead of him. You don't have 2 major surgeries within 10 days of each other and sail home. They say he's not out of the woods yet but he might be on the right path.

I love that he's at Stanford. I love that he has top notch staff. I hate that it's so so far away. It's hard to see someone you love and care about sick and you have to leave them. It doesn't feel right to leave them there. My mom is back up there for a few days now and he's being moved to a room where she and my aunt can see him more often and for longer stretches. That will help.

Now Joe has a cold and I shared his drinks and can feel my throat and nose burn. sigh. So I may not have a chance to see him again for quiet a few days if indeed Joe has shared his cold with me.
So we are going to snuggle by the fire tonight, eat soup and watch hockey.

No comments: